September 17, 2008

Blueberry Oat Muffins

I've made these muffins before from my BHG cookbook and they turned out great. I decided to make them again but using jumbo size muffin tins and adding fresh blueberries for color and flavor. I also reduced the amount of oat bran in them because I remember last time I made them they were slightly on the dry side. I also used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose and added a 1tsp of vanilla just for a little more flavor. I couldn't find the recipe online so I've posted my altered version below (for jumbo size muffins and also regular size muffins) for you to enjoy.
















Blueberry Oat Muffins


1 Cup oat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 Cup applesauce
1/2 Cup milk (1% or skim)
1/4 Cup honey
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 Cups fresh blueberries

1) Preheat oven to 350F (or 400F if using normal size muffin tins) and grease muffin tins with cooking spray
2) In a large bowl combine oat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; then form a well in the middle and set bowl aside
3) In a medium bowl beat egg, then combine applesauce, milk, honey, oil, and vanilla until mixed
4) Pour egg mixture into center of flour well and mix until just combined (batter should be lumpy), then fold in blueberries
5) Pour batter equally into muffin tins and bake for 30min (bake for 16-18min if using regular size muffin tins) until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean
6) Cool pan on rack for 5min then remove from muffin tins and enjoy!

(I like to keep my muffins in an air tight ziplock bag in the freezer, then just heat them up for a quick breakfast in the morning)

No comments: